Being Thankful: Two People I Will Never Forget

For the past six weeks, I’ve been speaking at various events throughout the country about my book, Previvors. And many people have asked me how I first decided to become a writer. Well, at my most recent book signing at Barnes & Noble in Boca Raton, part of my answer was there in person: A man by the name of Anthony Jaswinski.

When I was in 7th grade, I thought I wanted to be a doctor. But considering that science was my least favorite subject, deep down I knew that medicine wasn’t my true calling. And then I landed in a class with Mr. Jaswinski, known as the toughest English teacher in the school. He was a stickler for proper grammar, and he demanded the best from his students. Being the type to thrive on pressure, it’s no wonder I loved the class. But Mr. Jaswinski didn’t just teach my fellow 13-year-olds and I the skills we needed to become good writers. He actually helped us gain appreciation for the craft. By challenging us each and every day, he somehow made writing fun.

And while Mr. Jaswinski first inspired my love for writing, Mrs. Ann Birr encouraged me to pursue it as a career. She was my teacher for two years in high school, and she took me under her wing, so to speak. Fist, she suggested I start working for the school newspaper. Later, she had me enter writing contests at local newspapers and contribute to their high school sections. Then, when I was considering colleges, she recommended that I look at schools with excellent journalism departments. I credit her for giving me the confidence that I could turn my passion into a profession.

To this day, I thank Mr. Jaswinski and Mrs. Birr from the bottom of my heart. I thought of them often as I wrote Previvors, and I even acknowledged them in the book. I can only hope that my son and daughter will someday encounter a teacher that inspires them, challenges them, and helps them discover their true passions. I can’t believe I was lucky enough to have two of them.

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*